Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Zombies, Run! 5K: Intro and Week 1

I'm a sucker for zombies lately, like the rest of America. Sunday nights are devoted to watching The Walking Dead. I've even read some of the graphic novels. So when I heard about the Zombies, Run! App, I was intrigued.

If you're not aware, Zombies, Run! is set in a small community during the zombie apocalypse. You join the community and are known as Runner 5. There is an ongoing storyline—think almost of an old radio show. As you run, the app plays your own music in between parts of the story. You are sent on missions to collect important items. While you are out on the mission, you occasionally need to evade a zombie. The app uses GPS technology and requires you to speed up for 1 minute sprints to stay safe.

And, if you're not ready for the full app like I am, they have also released an app for beginners providing training for a 5K. The 5K app, thus far, has been pretty light on the story line. The doctor from the community walk you through the running drills and you occasionally hear from other characters in the story. You cannot get caught by a zombie during the training in this app. So to me, the full app seems a lot more fun. And I'm very glad for that because it adds to my motivation for sticking with the 5K training app. Right now, Tim's using the full app. He really enjoys it and says the storyline is very engaging. He's actually frustrated that he can't talked to me about it because I don't want to be spoiled!

Intro: The intro has been my favorite episode. You can walk, run, or a combination of both for the entire work out. It starts with the story of how you reached Abel Township and provides interesting details about all these new characters. I feel like this episode was the most like the full app (minus the GPS zombie chases).

Distance: 2.04 mi Duration: 35:38 mins Avg Speed: 3.56 mph Avg Pace: 16:51 min/mi

Week 1 Work Out:

10 minute walk

10 cycles of:
1 minute walking
15 second running

10 minute free form run (walk, run, or combo of both)

W1D1: For my first day back at true 5K training, I can't really remember anything remarkable about this one. The weather was nice and I found the training intervals pretty easy. For the free form run, I alternated 1minute of running and 1 minute of walking.

Distance: 2.26 mi Duration: 39:39 mins Avg Speed: 3.52 mph Avg Pace: 17:02 min/mi

W1D2: I woke up early before church and ran in the cold. Both of these things are remarkable as I hate early mornings and the cold, but I felt great during the run and even better afterward. I was so focused during church. Afterward, we went grocery shopping. Once we returned, I felt so energetic that I organized the freezer and then completely cleaned the entire refrigerator.

Distance: 2.36 mi Duration: 35:58 mins Avg Speed: 3.77 mph Avg Pace: 15:54 min/mi

W1D3: This was most difficult run because it was such a windy day. When I got to the free run, I tried to do intervals of 2 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It seemed like every run interval, I was running into the wind. I kept thinking about the Biggest Loser workouts when the contestants run while pulling Jillian behind them, which helped me make it through. The one interval when I ran with the wind to my back, the 2 minutes flew.

Distance: 2.15 mi Duration: 34:15 mins Avg Speed: 3.67 mph Avg Pace: 16:20 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment