Sunday, March 24, 2013

Flatlining

Nobody wants to plateau. What good is any journey if you're not growing? Who wants to hang out in stagnant water?

My friend, Pat, recently told me about her frustration with plateaus, after the scale had spent too long on a certain number. Another morning came along and the number still hadn't budged. As she tells the story, she calmly opens her bathroom window, pulls up the screen, and tosses her scale in the yard. (For the record, her scale survived and she broke through her plateau shortly afterward.)

This morning I thought maybe I should follow suit, but I really didn't think our scale would survive a three story fall. Looking at the scale this morning, I was sorta-kinda thankful I didn't gain. At least I stayed the same, I told myself. Tim even reminded me, "you're a chick with a thyroid problem! Your progress is amazing!"

But ultimately, I felt that my body cheated me. I stayed under my daily calories every day--even on Thursday when we went to Texas Roadhouse with friends for dinner! I ordered broccoli and carrots instead of the loaded sweet potato! I ran five of the Zombies, Run! 5K workouts! I was not happy!

As I was having my own personal pity party this morning, I realized that I was sabotaging my own journey to strong. I couldn't blame the scale for my poor attitude. Only I can control my focus and I choose to set my aim for the positive. And I had to admit, there were a few positives to my week.

First off, I achieved my goal of 8 miles this week. In fact, I think I blew it out of the water! I ran/walked 11.16 miles this week. And that is something that makes me extremely happy.

Secondly, a few days ago, I was downstairs letting Penny outside to use the bathroom. When she came back in, I ran up to the third floor. When I got to our bedroom, I realized I wasn't out of breath--something I couldn't have said when we first moved in to our townhouse.

So I challenge anyone who hits the inevitable plateau in your weight loss, to strive for better, even if it isn't in the number you're seeing. How much better do you feel? How are your clothes fitting? What compliments are you receiving? Success is all about how we define it.

Weigh In Day 
This week: -0.0 lbs
Total: - 18.8 lbs

Goal: 3/24-3/30
Running: 10 miles
Weight: -2 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment