Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Love Letter to Spaghetti Squash

Dear Spaghetti Squash,

I love you.

There! I said it! And it's not just infatuation, but true love. And there are so many reasons for my love. We're always told that it's what on the inside that matters. You, sir, prove that in a mighty way. Look at you just sitting on that table. On the outside, you look like the average, boring vegetable. Yellow. Oval. Easy to look over in the grocery store.

But you are so much more than the average squash. Inside you is the best pasta swap in the world. We simply have to cut you in half and remove all your seeds (sorry about that, by the way). Six to eight minutes in the microwave, or 30 to 40 minutes, rind side up, in the oven, and you're ready to provide an extremely healthy faux-pasta. Fork out your insides and you're ready to use in a multitude of recipes.


A whole cup of you is only 40 calories!!! A cup of pasta and you're looking at about 200-220 calories. You're so filling and so versatile!

As you know, I'm not much of creative cook, so I must give credit to others for the amazing dishes I've had you in. My mom would make you by simply swapping out spaghetti noodles for you in her own spaghetti recipe.

And recently, you've become a favorite ingredient of my husband too. (Don't worry, he knows I love you and is okay with that.) Chicken Parmesan was delicious, as was the Chicken Alfredo! My favorite was this week's tuna casserole-lots of veggies, protein, and some cheese! So tasty!


And if I find myself on day where I am going to be eating a large meal at some point, you make a great light lunch or dinner. Last week, I ate one cup of you with a 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce and some Parmesan cheese for under 100 calories!

Once again, let me say, I love you.

Love,
Heather

PS: Don't tell spaghetti noodles, but not only do I love you, I prefer your taste too!


No comments:

Post a Comment