Thursday, May 2, 2013

Zombies, Run! 5K: Week 8


LAST WEEK!! I'm pretty excited, if you weren't able to tell. Each workout this week is different and the most challenging I've faced so far.


W8D1
Workout
5 minute walking
5 minute running
2 minute stretching
20 minute running
5 minute stretching
5 minute run
3 minute stretching
5 minute run

I was fairly pleased with myself on this workout. My legs felt great during the first part of the run. Unfortunately my stomach wasn't feeling as great as my legs so I had to walk some of the running towards the end because I didn't want to risk anything, if you know what I mean. So I feel like I could have done better--state wise--if my body would have cooperated.

Distance: 2.87 mi   Duration: 51:14 mins   Avg Speed: 3.33/mph   Avg Pace: 18:02 min/mi


W8D2

Workout 
5 minute walk
10 minute run
3 minute stetching
10 minute run
5 minute walk
10 minute run
5 minute walk
5 minute run

So this work out took me a while to complete. The first day I did it, I got 30 minutes done and felt miserable. Embarrassing as it is, I got to admit I was across the neighborhood and had to call Tim to come pick me up. I was just plain out sick.

I was feeling better the next day, but just felt like I wasn't ready to revisit this workout. So I decided to listen to a podcast and just do my own thing at my own speed. It turned out to be my best run in WEEKS. I did 65 minutes total. I walked for 15 minutes, ran for 50 minutes. One of my running periods was for a full 30 minutes and I did almost 2 miles!! Non-zombie stats were 65 minutes, 4.18 miles, and had a pace of 15:33! Woo!

Now back to finishing this Zombie workout...

So I restarted Day 2 and felt so much better. I even ran a little extra than the workout had, making it 40 minutes total outta a nearly 60 minute workout. I was very pleased. Oh, it was even raining during this run. I waited until it slowed to a drizzle, but it another achievement--rain running!

Distance: 3.44mi   Duration:  59:15 mins   Avg Speed: 3.41/mph   Avg Pace: 17:36 min/mi

W8D3: 

Workout
Run a 5K

So this one took me two tries too. I had taken two days off and headed out yesterday after work. I was in a rush, so I didn't take much time to stretch or do a proper warm up walk and just went for it... and after about a block or so, I felt like my legs were turning to stone. It was miserable. I decided the 5K wasn't happening today. Tim was out with Penny so he saw me and walked back to the house with me, coaching me that everyone has bad runs and its to be expected--especially after two days off and my lack of warming up and stretching.

I was feeling determined to fix it, though, so I decided to get up this morning at 4:55(!!!!) to run before work. I'm so not a morning person, but for some reason, I woke up when the alarm went off feeling pretty well. I even got out the door before Tim did... after proper stretching, of course!! It felt great being out there, still mostly dark while the rest of the world was asleep. It gave me time to pray, clear my head, and enjoy the quietness around me. I finished the 5K (3.10 miles) in just around 47 minutes, which I was happy with, especially since I only walked for about 3 minutes of the entire thing. I walked about 90 seconds in between miles 1 and 2 and then 2 and 3.

Distance: 3.26 mi   Duration:  51:01 mins   Avg Speed: 3.83/mph   Avg Pace: 15:39 min/mi


So now that I'm finished the 5K app, I'm going to move on to the full Zombies, Run! app. I'll try to keep updating on how my progress is going. I have 5 weeks until the Nick Adenhart 5K Run that I have been planning on doing for a while now. So the goal for the next 5 weeks is to work on my pace. I'd like to be at a 13 minute pace by the 5K, so I can finish with a time under 40 minutes! I think its possible, as long as I keep myself running consistently!

No comments:

Post a Comment