Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Chick with a Thyroid Problem"

Whenever I get frustrated with my weight loss progress or when I feel lousy and tired, Tim will oh so gently remind me that I'm "a chick with a thyroid problem."

That became a title I started carrying about two months after our wedding when my period didn't show up. Initially, we had a "oh crap" moment, and despite being married I worried about what my mother would say, but then we came to peace with this idea that my period was over a week late and even became--dare I say, excited? 

And that's when my journey to a diagnosis (actually, two diagnoses) began. We started out with several blood tests. No pregnancy, but my thyroid and prolactin hormones were off the charts. My PCP sent me through the gambit of tests--ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs--before coming to any conclusions. The MRI was the worst. The noise is bad, the small tube is bad, but the two being combined is pretty miserable.

My PCP was able to diagnose my first issue--which was the most frightening sounding of the two. I had a rare tumor in my brain that was in the pituitary gland and was the cause of the high prolactin levels. Despite the words "tumor", "brain", and "rare" in the same sentence, this ended up being a relatively minor issue. Everything was benign and it was easily treatable with medication. I take a half a pill twice a week and the tumor will shrink until it disappears. My prolactin levels are dropping and at some point in the next year or so, I should be able to be off of the medication.

I was then sent to an ENT doctor due to the thyroid hormones. She conducted a 2 day long radioactive thyroid study and confirmed a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. I was surprised because I didn't have some of the main signs--weight loss, hair falling out, or high energy levels. As with most things with the human body, everyone experiences their own symptoms. For whatever reason--I think it was the combination of the tumor and the hyperthyroidism--my main symptoms were irregular periods, headaches, shaky hands, fatigue, and weight gain.

From there, I was sent to my first appointment with my endocrinologist. I left there that day not really liking the guy. He confirmed the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism and gave me my options. I could take medication and after 18 months, I'd have a 50/50 chance that the hyperthyroidism would go into remission. However, it would most definitely be back at some point, especially if I were to get pregnant. I asked about getting pregnant during that 18 months. It wasn't ideal, he explained, because of the higher risk of miscarriage and that they would have to switch me to a less preferred medication for part of the pregnancy due to development of the baby.

My other option was to take a radioactive iodine treatment. I'd swallow a pill, the thyroid would suck up all the radioactive iodine, and over a few months, my thyroid gland would die off. This would put me into a hypoactive state for the rest of my life and I would permanently be taking a replacement hormone. Due to the radiation, I would not be able to get pregnant or our little one would also be born without his or her thyroid.

I spent a few days feeling pretty devastated. We felt like we were ready to try for a baby. I didn't even want to wait six months. I didn't want to force my body into a hypoactive state. I didn't like the odds on remission. I hated all my options. 

I finally decided that the six month radiation treatment and a life of replacement hormones made the most sense for me. I called the doctor and about a week later I was swallowed the radiation pill. I had to keep my distance from people for two day--including Penny, who didn't understand why all of a sudden she couldn't cuddle on my lap. I even got the bed to myself for the weekend. Other than feeling exhausted for the two to three weeks afterwards, it wasn't that terrible of an experience.

Since then, the doctor has been monitoring my dropping hormone levels. My most recent appointment was yesterday where we got some great news. My hormone levels were at "the perfect levels" to start the replacement hormone. Next month, I head back to the doctor for another hormone check to see if the meds need any adjustments. The doctor felt pretty confident that he'd be able to get the amount I would need right within the next visit. He also said, if things continue to progress as they have been, Tim and I can start "trying" in June. Once I got through my initial dislike of my doctor (it was only because of the news he gave me), I'm glad he' the one treating me. I mean, it's not like I want to go out to dinner with him or meet his family, but I have been impressed with his knowledge, experience, and treatment of hyperthyroidism. If you find yourself needing to see an endocrinologist, feel free to contact me and I will give you his name.

During the visit yesterday, the doctor asked me how my weight loss progress had be going. I told him I had lost about 19 lbs overall. He inquired about how the last few weeks had gone. "Funny you should ask..." I began, as I told him of how I stayed the same two weeks ago and saw a 3 pound gain this week, despite running 12 miles and staying under my calorie goal. He simply nodded and said "the timing would be right around the time your thyroid hormone dropped into the hypo range".

I looked at Tim and smiled. He gave me a look that said, "I could do this doctor thing!" So  I had to admit that he was right--I'm a "chick with a thyroid problem".

No comments:

Post a Comment